Thanks to everyone who turned out for our "Hardly Strictly Klezmer" show at the Freight & Salvage in September, and we bet that you enjoyed hearing Vocolot as much as we did. We have a couple more public shows coming up this month. Hope to see you!
Julie is back from five weeks studying Yiddish and playing klezmer in Vilnius, Lithuania, and feeling very inspired. Lots of stories to tell!
The Red Hot Chachkas have some interesting public appearances you might want to know about, starting with a big show at the Freight & Salvage this Thursday:
Thursday Sept 8 (8pm) "Hardly Strictly Klezmer," also featuring a capella singers Vocolot, at the Freight & Salvage, Berkeley CA (near Berkeley BART) [map].
Sunday Sept 18 (9pm) A shaynem dank with Bruce Bierman, a special klezmer dance party before Bruce decamps to LA, featuring a bunch of his musician pals, including several of the Chachkas, at Subterranean Arthouse, 2179 Bancroft Way, Berkeley CA
Friday Oct 14 (9pm) with Cradle Duende opening, at Subterranean Arthouse, 2179 Bancroft Way, Berkeley CA. More info & Tix
Saturday Oct 22 (8pm) Julie Egger's Musical Birthday Bash, featuring lots of her musical accomplices, at San Geronimo Valley Community Center, 6350 Sir Francis Drake Blvd., San Geronimo CA. More info & Tix
Thursday Sept 8 (8pm) "Hardly Strictly Klezmer," also featuring a capella singers Vocolot, at the Freight & Salvage, Berkeley CA (near Berkeley BART) [map]. Please put this really exciting concert on your calendar!
- Red Hot Chachkas -- Julie Egger (violin), Barbara Speed (clarinet), Tony Phillips (mandolin), Breck Diebel (bass), Michael Arrow (drums), and our newest member Diana Strong (accordion) -- will play original klezmer-fusion instrumental compositions, including some brand new tunes. Julie will be just back and inspired from a month of studying Yiddish and playing klezmer music in Eastern Europe!
- Vocolot is an a cappella singing group -- Liz Stuart, Linda Hirschhorn, Julia Bordenaro, Shana Levy, and Talia Cooper -- so it'll be an nicely balanced evening.
If we combine forces at some point, don't be too shocked!
I'll be taking a solo flight away from the Red Hot Chachkas this summer, spreading my wings and playing in Vilnius, Lithuania. I'll be traveling to Vilnius from mid-July 16 to mid-August for a Yiddish language immersion program. Yes, I said Yiddish, oy vey. But that's not all, I will be teaching Yiddish song. But that's not all, I will be teaching and performing with Benjy Fox-Rosen in a klezmer festival. But that's not all, I will also be performing a solo concert in the festival. Hope to post some YouTube videos when I return.
- Sunday May 15 Ashkenaz Fundraiser 1317 San Pablo @ Gilman in Berkeley. 6-9 PM. Food & music, including 6:30 set with Klezmer Allstars (members of Red Hot Chachkas, California Klezmer, and Veretski Pass), dancing with Yiddish dance maven Bruce Bierman. By RSVP only, contact Kristen 510-525-5099 ext. 2# or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sunday May 29 at the cozy, intimate, funky Red Poppy Art House, 2698 Folsom St., San Francisco CA (at 23rd St., near 24th St BART) [map]. Doors open 6:30, Music at 7 PM. Admission $15/12. World premiere of some brand-new compositions.
- Monday July 4 at World One Festival, Cerrito Vista Park, El Cerrito CA [map] 10 AM (festival is all day till 7 PM). FREE. Don't miss our debut show with accordionist Diana Strong!
Saturday July 9 from 5-7pm, we play at "Vasona Vibrations" at Vasona Lake County Park, 333 Blossom Hill Road, Los Gatos, CA. [map] [info] FREE event, but food and cash donations for the Second Harvest Food Bank will be accepted at each concert.
- July 16 to Aug 21 Julie Egger at Vilnius University, Lithuania, studying Yiddish, teaching Yiddish song, and performing at klezmer festival of Vilnius
- Thursday Sept 8 "Hardly Strictly Klezmer," also featuring a capella singers Vocolot, at the Freight & Salvage, 2020 Addison St. near Shattuck, Berkeley CA (near Berkeley BART) [map]. Show at 8 PM
The Red Hot Chachkas, and several other groups (see below), will play a Benefit Concert and Dance for the SF Food Bank, 6 pm on Sunday January 23, at Peninsula Temple Beth El, 1700 Alameda De Las Pulgas, San Mateo, CA [map]. In addition, on the following Sunday January 30, another benefit show with a different lineup will be at the JCC East Bay, 1414 Walnut Street, Berkeley, CA.
Kudos to Heather Klein for putting this together and for inviting us!
|Hungry for Yiddish? A Mitzvah Project|
Heather Klein presents Hungry for Yiddish? A Mitzvah Project, Yiddish/Jewish/world music and art to raise money for the San Francisco Food Bank and help feed the hungry. KlezCalifornia is a co-sponsor.
Sunday, January 23, 6:00-8:00pm, San Mateo, at Peninsula Temple Beth El, with The Red Hot Chachkas, The Klezmakers, Achi Ben Shalom, Heather Klein's Inextinguishable Trio, Yumi Thomas, Alla Gladysheva, Be'eri Moalem, Aaron Kierbel, and Marisa Binder. Bruce Bierman will lead dancing. Art by Lynn Silton, and Maya and Talia Turkenitz. Tickets: $10 at the door. Bring canned food to donate!
Sunday, January 30, 4:00-6:00pm, Berkeley, at JCC of the East Bay, with Janam, Heather Klein's Inextinguishable Trio, Mike Perlmutter, Dave Rosenfeld, Marguerite Ostro, Jeanette Lewicki, Marisa Binder, Yumi Thomas, Alla Gladysheva, and Aaron Kierbel. Bruce Bierman will lead dancing. Tickets: $10 at the door.
More info: www.HeatherLKlein.com, Hlaurenklein[at]hotmail.com, 702.498.1999